Saratov regional museum of local lore  
Old Saratov
Museum Logo
Saratov nowadays


Логотип музея



Saratov Museum of Local Lore is among the oldest ones of this type in Russia. The Saratov Scientific Archive Board (SSAB) was organized on the 12th (24) of December, 1886. This is considered to be date of the museum foundation.   

The board was established by people of diverse professions and various social positions, but all of them were united by a common aim – to preserve the historical past of the region. The first meeting was held on December, 12 at A.A.Zubov’s (1838-1904), the Saratov Governor, place.

A.A.Tillo (1846-1918), the Vice-Governor, was elected the Chairman. He was the person to offer great material support to the board: in 1911, according to his last will, his house was presented to the Board. Up to 1929 the house used to host the SSAB museum, the archives, the library and P.A.Stolypin museum.



In 1889, the museum collection comprised 144 items. That was the reason for S.S. Krasnodubrovskij to compile the first «Systematic catalogue of the SSAB historical museum (1886-1888).

The museum has gradually become the center to accumulate peculiar finds from all over the province.


The natural and the historical collections make the important components of the present museum funds. Those were originated in 1895, with the start of the Saratov society for naturalists. The society united both, specialists in natural sciences and enthusiastic admirers of flora and fauna, people involved in state and social activities. P.P. Podyapolskij, a nobleman, a well-known doctor, a member of 14 scientific societies, has left a most important trace in that sphere. Plenty of people used to offer donations.


In November 1921, the city museums were joined together to make the State Regional Museum.

In 1928, collections from naturalist museum were handed to the Regional museum to make the basis for the department of natural history. A.D. Fursaev (1900-1961), a biologist and a future professor of the Saratov State University, played a great role in its foundation.


In 1930, the Museum was transferred to one of the historical monuments: to the former Ustinovs’ family mansion.

Nowadays, the Museum is known as a major center of scientific research in the spheres of local nature, history and culture. Its collections expand permanently, making at present more than 400 000 units.